Lausitz Tour: Old Coal Regions – Renewed!
As a traditional and historic coal region in eastern Germany, Lausitz is particularly affected by the German and global coal phase-out and faces tough structural change challenges. Due to governmental support and the will of local energy companies to preserve the region and local economy, Lausitz is in the process of transitioning into a sustainable and future-oriented region, where the hydrogen and renewable energy industry will play a central role.
The Energiewende Tour of Lausitz provides a unique experience of ‘Energiewende’ in action, from past, present and the future. The tour is divided into three stops. First, one of the largest batteries in Europe will be visited which is located on the site of an existing coal-fired power plant. The second stop will be a former coal mine that is currently being flooded for future rehabilitation. Specialists on site will give an overview of both the flooding activities and the urban development plans for the continued use of the lake. Finally, we will visit the Technical University of Cottbus, where we will hear various company presentations and visit the university's hydrogen research center.
Featured Companies / Projects / Stops
Block 1: Schwarz Pumpe
- Big Battery Lausitz, LEAG Lausitz Energie Kraftwerke AG
Block 2: Cottbus Ostsee
- Water management and land reclamation, LEAG Lausitz Energie Kraftwerke AG
- Urban development of the Cottbus Ostsee, City administration of Cottbus
Block 3: Presentations at Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus-Senftenberg
- Welcome by the dean of the Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus-Senftenberg
- Hydrogen Network in Lausitz “DurcH2atmen”, IHK Cottbus & Hydrogen Network Lausitz
- Hydrogen production to synthetic fuels - Siemens Energy/Fraunhofer IWU, Hydrogen Lab Görlitz
- Green hydrogen production + refueling at Cottbusverkehr, LEAG Lausitz Energie Kraftwerk AG
- eFuels - demonstration plant in Lausitz, PtX Lab Lausitz
Block 4: Visit of the university’s hydrogen research center
Tour Dates & Times
The 2022 BETD Onsite Guided Tours have ended. For information on future tours, go to the main BETD website and follow the BETD social media channels to stay informed.